Staying on top of a clean house can be hard enough. (Although we try to make it easier for you with our products!)
But with the longer, hopefully warmer days ahead, why not use the time to do a few little extra tasks that make ALL the difference.
Here are three to get you going — so easy, so fast and so rewarding!
1. Wash your Washing Machine
Unlike our Nellie's Laundry Soda, many ordinary laundry detergents contain harsh chemicals that can leave soap scum and other nasties behind. Why not give your washer a springtime scrub using safe, all natural products?!
It's as simple as:
1. Add 1 cup white vinegar and 1 cup baking soda directly into the washing machine tub.
2. Add 1 cup vinegar into the fabric softener or liquid soap compartment and 1 cup baking soda into the detergent compartment.
3. Set the washer on Fast or Quick wash using the hot water setting and the highest spin cycle.
4. Wipe down the outside of the machine with a rag with a natural cleaning product like our toxin-free Nellie's All Purpose Cleaner. If you have a front-loader, check the rubber seal for any bits and pieces that might have collected. I also use this opportunity to wipe down my dryer inside and out and give the lint screen a quick wash.
5. Wash a load of towels, sheets or whites afterward in case there's any leftover vinegar or baking soda hanging around. What better way than to toss in some Soap Berries to get it done?
2. Clean your Window Sills and Sliding Door Tracks
It's one of those jobs that can take an hour or two for the entire house, but how nice to have it done. Bonus? It keeps windows and doors operating properly!
Have your tools ready to GO:
1. Brush out loose dirt with a broom or use a vacuum.
2. Spray or pour vinegar, lie a towel on the floor along the base to catch spills or leaks.
3. Sprinkle with baking soda and allow to sit for 5-15 minutes (I've let sit for hours), you can always add more vinegar to rehydrate.
4. Use a toothbrush to scrub out any stubborn parts.
5. Wipe with a damp cloth, polish with microfiber cloth and use this opportunity to wipe down any ledges with Nellie's All Natural All Purpose Cleaner.
3.Cleaning and Deodorizing the Garbage Disposal
What a dark, damp place for smelly things to collect, right? So I try to give mine a happy bath once every week or two.
1. Run cold water and turn on garbage disposal.
2. Slowly feed 1-2 trays of ice cubes into the garbage disposal, this will not only scrape out stuck food and grease, but will also sharpen the blades.
3. Turn off disposal for this next step! This is the MUCH overlooked part that is so important. Use a toothbrush to clean the rubber guard. Turn over and scrub the backs of each little rubber section. Use dish soap like Nellie's All Natural One Soap to cut through the gunk that's collected.
4. I never throw away a used or bad lemon in our house. Cut 2-3 lemons into chunks and feed into running garbage disposal with cold water.
5. Put 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar down the drain.
6. Pour a kettle full of boiling water down the drain before cleaning your sink thoroughly. Pat yourself on the back and admire your work!
Let us know how these natural cleaning hacks work for you and if you have any questions, we're here to help.
We Heart Green,
Nellie's All Natural ONE SOAP
Strip away food, grease and grime without harsh chemicals and gentle on the hands and skin. Use on every surface from dishes to hands, from dogs to...just about everything!
Available in refreshing Melon, Water Lily and Peppermint scents.
HOW TO USE: Lather & rinse. Use on anything — dishes, hands or dogs! Do not use in dishwasher.
Color-free, SLS, SLES and toxin-free formula. Comes in a convenient 19oz plastic bottle with a flip cap.
INGREDIENTS: Water, cocoyl glucoside (sugar based detergent), laureth-7 (non-ionic detergent), cocoamidopropyl betaine (plant-based lather booster), cocoamidopropyl amine oxide (plant-based foam stabilizer)
Nellie's All Purpose Cleaner
Nellie’s All-Natural All-Purpose Cleaner gets the job done naturally. The lemongrass-scented cleaner provides exceptional cleaning power against household dirt and grime.
Free from harsh chemicals, phosphates, dyes and perfumes and contains no SLS or SLES.
HOW TO USE: Spray surface area and wipe clean using a damp cloth. For heavily soiled surfaces, spray area and allow to soak for 30 seconds before wiping. Repeat as needed. For any surface that you are not sure of, test before use.
INGREDIENTS: Water, Alcohol, Laureth-7 (derived from coconut oil), natural lemongrass fragrance.
Soap Berry Eco Laundry Soap
$12.95 - $25.00
Soap berries, also called soap nuts, are a natural alternative to traditional laundry detergent and fabric softener.
These super-powered little berries provide a wonderfully toxin-free, clean and effective option for those wanting to eliminate the use of chemical-based laundry detergents.
Soap Berries grow on trees in Nepal and contain a natural detergent called saponin. The Soap Berry absorbs water then releases saponins which circulate in the washer freeing up dirt, grime, oils and even stains.
They don't suds-up like mad but provide a gentle, powerful way to wash your clothes! Put 4-6 Soap Berries in the muslin bag provided. Place in the washer with clothes. Wash as usual with cold, warm or hot water in any size load.
After washing, remove bag from washer and allow the bag of berries to air dry. Dry clothes as usual. Each bag of 4-6 berries will wash approximately 25 loads. Replace Soap Berries when pale, broken and crumbling.
Your dark clothes will never look better and your whites will sparkle!
You may also need:
• Washing Bag —need to replace yours or want an additional bag? Ours are of the highest quality muslin 3x4" the perfect size for your Soap Berries